Sunday, March 15, 2015

Yogi Wisdom

Over Spring Break, I signed up for a week long trial of Class Pass, and I've been to a few yoga classes and a barre class. Downward dog and child's pose aside, I noticed a trend among the different classes I attended. I tried three different studios and learned from four different instructors, and a similar theme kept popping up as they guided us through the beginning of class.

As we started class, sitting upright on our mats with our eyes closed, the instructors told us to let go of our expectations. One of the instructors said something like, "When you come to this mat, you're coming to play and to deepen your practice. Let go of any expectations you have for this time here." (Her use of the word "play" resonated with me. Wasn't I just there to break a sweat and burn some calories?) Another instructor talked about each of us meeting ourselves where we are and resisting the urge to try to meet expectations we have in our heads for poses and stretches. (Luckily for me, my expectations were simple: finish the class.)

All jokes aside, their message stuck with me. The quote, "Expectation is the root of all heartache" kept creeping into my mind during my time on my mat.***  Isn't it funny how the quotes that we've memorized over time can become mantras in the quiet time we spend alone with our thoughts?

My One Little Word for this year is enjoy. I chose it for a handful of reasons, and I'm not feeling vulnerable enough to share all of them in this space tonight. However, one of the reasons why I settled on it is that I tend to be a thinker and an analyzer. (Shocking, I know.) Sometimes, in the midst of a moment, I'm trying to think about what it means or how I can carry it forward in my life, and I'd really rather just enjoy it. Let go of the expectations and the ideas I've already envisioned for my future, and just ENJOY the moment.

Walking into each new studio this week, feeling unsure about my inabilities yoga practice and supremely out of my comfort zone, I heard a lot of Brene Brown's words swirling around in my head. A long time ago, Brene Brown taught me that in order to truly feel connection, we have to allow ourselves to be vulnerable.

If I'm really going to live my One Little Word this year and enjoy the moment, I will have to continue to allow myself to be vulnerable, to put expectation and fear aside and really connect. Thank you, yoga instructors and Brene, for reminding me what my word is all about.

Typically, I write about topics connected to my classroom and the adorable little ten and eleven year olds that learn inside those walls. Today I ventured away a bit, but as all of my teacher friends know, vulnerability and connection is as much a part of our professional lives as it is our personal lives. In fact, one of the areas I would most like to slow down and enjoy the moment is with my learners. (See how I connected it back to teaching? Thumbs up, Marly.)




***Interesting note: I've always heard that the quote, "Expectation is the root of all heartache" was said by Shakespeare. Upon some internet research tonight, I discovered that's not true. Based on what I read, there's not really a known source. (I could dig a bit further, but I just don't feel all that inclined this evening.)

2 comments:

  1. As always, I find solace, connection, and hope in your writing. Enjoy is a perfect word for you, and I couldn't agree more about the power of yoga to clear our minds and provide perspective. It is interesting that you instructor used the word play. This is always a challenge for me, and I applaud you for taking a risk and signing up for the Class Pass. I think I may take a bike ride later so I too can experience some childlike energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reflection. It's so true that our expectations of the end result keep us from enjoying the process - and the process is just as important (if not more so) as the result.

    ReplyDelete