Thursday, November 5, 2015

Gratitude Challenge - Day 2


I had a lot of fun making my list of things that I'm thankful for that are also black and white. I love this kind of brainstorming. 

books
writing
old photos
Oreos
cookies and cream ice cream
chocolate chip ice cream
people
puppies
X-rays
stars at night
sheet music
piano keys
the tile in my old kitchen
paved roads
QR codes
salt and pepper
referees
yoga pants
coffee
soccer balls
wicks (in candles)
coloring books
crossword puzzles
manuscripts
my Dad's letters
my journals
composition notebooks
my kids' writing 

Call me sappy, but I think the thing I'm most thankful for is writing. I'm thankful that I have the ability and the knowledge to be able to write. There are a lot of people in this world that were never taught how to write - how to get all of the thoughts whizzing through their heads organized and onto the paper or even how to form letters and build sentences. I'm thankful that someone taught me how to write and that I had access to a free and public education, writing teachers that inspired me to challenge myself, and my parents, both writers, that modeled for me and helped me when I continuously changed tenses mid-essay or misspelled spaghetti for the hundredth time. 

I'm also incredibly thankful for the writing of other people. Published books, essays, and poems have continuously brought me comfort and companionship over the years and have given me a lens through which to understand life. 

I'm thankful for letters that I've saved from the loved ones in my life: letters from my Mom and Dad, cards from my Grandma, and notes and letters from my cousin Dai when we were silly teenagers and I wanted to be just like her. 

Finally, I'm thankful for my students' writing. Without a doubt, those piece of writing are the works of geniuses. They are imaginative and poetic and full of wisdom. They are adorable and humorous, and they make me smile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment